Our guide dogs and assistance dogs usually «retire» after 8-10 years’ work. The exact date of retirement varies from dog to dog, depending on any age-related ailments and other medical factors. The school and the dog owner decide together whether the dog can remain with the owner for its retirement, or maybe stay within the owner's family or circle of acquaintances. If that’s not possible, the school will - with the agreement of the dog owner - find a suitable person with whom the dog can enjoy the rest of its days.
The pre-conditions for keeping a retired dog
- If the person caring for the dog works away from home, it has to be a part-time job (max. 50%).
- The housing situation must be suitable for the medical needs of an aging dog.
- A sympathetic understanding of the dog’s physical and health care requirements
- The house owner must have given his permission for keepig a dog.
- Any children who live within the same household are ideally at least between 5 to 7 years old.
Please note that there is a waiting list for our retired dogs.
Are you interested in rehoming a retired dog? Just get in touch with us and we will be pleased to provide you with more information. You can contact us by phone at +41 61 487 95 95.