Facts and figures
- Established in Allschwil in 1972
- Operating in new premises at the same location since 2002
- More than 90% of the financial support for the school is obtained from donations, legacies and inheritances.
- The Swiss disability insurance scheme (IV) pays for the costs of the team training at the guide dog owner's home and pays the school a monthly rental fee (currently CHF 350) for each guide dog deployed at any particular time. A one-off compensation payment is made by the IV for every assistance dog. Autism assistance dogs are not funded by the IV.
- Additional funds are generated by the sale of promotional items from our shop.
- The school does not receive any subsidies from the state.
Number of guide dogs trained from 1972-2020
- 997 guide dogs
Number of puppies born in Allschwil from 1972-2020
- 2348 puppies
Puppies, young dogs and breeding dogs in 2020
- Born at the School: 76, 43 of which were male and 33 female
- Externally bred: 0 male dogs
- Young dogs living with foster families: 95
- Breeding dogs living with families: 38
Dogs introduced and trained in 2020
A total of 86, comprising
- Guide dogs: 16. Of these, 9 were replacement dogs and 3 were dogs in for new applicants Switzerland, while in Germany 4 were a replacement dog and 0 were dogs for new applicants.
- Assistance dogs: 4
- Autism service dogs: 2
- Social support dogs: a total of 64 dogs, 26 of which were from our own breeding programme.
Dog owners in 2020
- Guide dogs: 139, 40 of which are in Germany and 1 in Austria
- Assistance dogs: 15
- Autism service dogs: 39
- Social support dogs: 404
- Retired dogs: 72
Our workforce in 2020
A total of 53, of which
- 17.30 are full time roles in the Training section
- 12.45 are full time roles in the Breeding section (incl. kennel staff)
- 10.05 are full time roles in the Administration (incl. PR and infrastructure)